17.9.10

Yomikata: Clouds-->Kanji-->People

Clouds: almost at eye-level from the bus...
...and unbelievably solid.

As I descend into Kansai International Airport, there seems to be more sprawling city, clouds, and sea than there is visible land – and what land there is to see juts up in surprisingly sharp ridges, the backbone of a geology completely different from any I have known.


Not your typical American lawn...
Even the clouds here are different – much lower and flat-bottomed, with a distant solidness that seems to invite the touch of the eye and the click of the camera.  The clouds, in fact, have continued to fascinate me long since my first landing – their proximity thrusts me into a Miyazaki film, and I hear the version of “Country Roads” from Whisper of the Heart swell in the background.  Likewise with the heat, the 蒸し暑い-inspired desire to constantly be jumping back in the shower after riding my single-gear bicycle up the hill to school.  The emerald fields of rice, sweet-smelling in the hot air, crammed in between curious, close architecture, are so unlike the sprawling lawns of the American suburbs.  My first instinct is to discard my former environment like a worn-out lover, to take up wholly with this beautiful, foreign, cinematic, clean, sweaty place – but how?

My first impressions of Japan reveal as much about me as about the country.  I am still a little 恥ずかしい, in love with the unique environment I have been allowed to enter, but unsure of how to understand the people whose daily existence is here.  Thus, this blog marks my first foray into formal anthropology.  Since my landing three weeks ago, I have moved beyond these immediate impressions of the weather and the landscape and the architecture, to begin to engage with the people who inhabit it.  I see the signs around me, and every day is a lesson in how to read them – both those written, literally, in Japanese, and the deeper meanings written in the Japanese people themselves, in the way they interact with each other, their environment, with me.
Light to capture...
...kanji to read...
...people to engage.

4 comments:

  1. You are off to a great start. Your text is energetic and interesting. And your pictures are very nice (but the third photo is a bit dark and hard to see, especially with it being so small...). I especially like the last picture. I would like to know more about it.

    I think your blog layout is very sharp as well. I am looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the constructive comments! I think I was a little over-hasty in terms of my picture uploading - I agree that the third photo was much too dark, so I went back and lightened it up a bit to improve visibility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, are those people playing a board game with fluorescent party hats? Also, I've just realized I've never been in a rice field. Gotta be a far cry from the grain and turkey Midwest.

    Good pictures though, hope all the culture shock's good here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fourth picture ("light to capture") is just so...surrealistic. I almost thought it was CGI.

    ReplyDelete